For the longest time, opting for a rental wetsuit was the most popular option for a beginner triathlete, especially if you expected a decent one. Apart from the ridiculously high price, most beginner triathletes just couldn’t justify spending a fortune on a wetsuit they may not use every summer.
Fortunately, with the sport gaining popularity over the years, manufacturers decided to fill that gap in the market. Now you’ll find entry-level—and very affordable—wetsuits for beginners. This move was obviously embraced because let’s face it—who wants to share a wetsuit? Now it’s your turn to join the club and get yours, no matter how involved you are with the sport at the moment.
But how will you know the right one to buy? We’ve compiled a list of the top three best wetsuits for beginner triathletes to aid you. We have the facts; you can simply choose.
Best Wetsuits for Beginner Triathletes
1. Synergy Triathlon Men’s Trisuit
Here we have a suit which allows you to go everywhere and anywhere while minimizing transition time. From swimming to cycling, select this wetsuit which repels water for non-wetsuit swims and optimizes breathing during running or cycling.
The suit is made from advanced semi-compression materials to help you perform at your peak. This includes nylon spandex which is well known for its comfort and breathable qualities. What you need is a wetsuit with thinner areas where you need flexibility and thicker where you require warmth. And this ¾ wetsuit provides you with just that.
The advanced NeoGel pad with anti-microbial fleece will keep you comfortable while giving you the right support for your cycling. Because of this pad it makes the wetsuit best suited for long-distance races.
For such an intense sport, you want a wetsuit which is not only comfortable but flexible. After all, it’s hectic enough engaging in three different activities; the last thing you need is your wetsuit working against you.
It was designed with your comfort in mind since it has a ¾ adjustable zipper and large arm holes to prevent chafing.
- PROVEN TECHNOLOGY EQUALS SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE - Advanced NeoGel pad with anti-microbial fleece keeps you comfortable while giving you the right support for your ride.
- TRIMS - Flatlock stitching throughout. 2 mesh pockets in the back. Flat and long drawstring for a custom fit.
- EXCEPTIONAL FUNCTIONALITY - Soft and effective leg grippers keep your shorts in place. Modesty panel for comfort and support.
- SUPERIOR FABRIC - Made from advanced semi-compression materials to help you perform at your peak. 3/4 Adjustable zipper, Large armholes to prevent chafing.
2. Pearl Izumi Women’s Select Pursuit Tri Suit
This is one of our recommendations because it gives you all the necessary benefits including value, fit and durability.
First off, a well-fitting wetsuit means one less thing to worry about on race day. Ideally, your suit should be snug but not constricting if you expect to do that backstroke with ease. Yes, it should be tight but not cutting off your oxygen supply; make sure you’re able to breathe normally. Thanks to a unique fit, this Pearl Izumi wetsuit facilitates all of that.
Before deciding on a wetsuit, check whether the seams are uniform and flat against your skin. A wetsuit with seams that are pointy and edgy will only result in discomfort due to chafing. Besides seams that aren’t uniform are more likely to become undone and you’ll be back shopping for another wetsuit before you know it.
Luckily this brand uses select-transfer dry fabric which sets the benchmark for compression and moisture transfer. It also has those flat lock seams which will provide you with superior abrasion resistance.
It also has a 10” zipper to provide you with ventilation. The zipper on the wetsuit is another thing you might need to closely inspect particularly the construction and ease of movement. The one you select must be easy to move up and down. Also make sure the stitching around the zipper is seamless, strong and smooth. This brand doesn’t disappoint.
This wetsuit comes with a separate bra and top for your added comfort which also makes it easy to wear and remove. These tri-suits come in all sorts of designs from full-body to pants and tops.
- SELECT transfer Dry fabric sets the benchmark for compression and moisture transfer
- Separate bra top offers maximum support and allows easy on/off access of the suit
- 8 inch inseam (size medium)
- Tri quick-dry Chamois
3. SLS3 Triathlon Men’s FX Top
Another of our favorites is this triathlon tank top particularly designed for men. The top comes in a timeless design.
Wetsuits come in different designs but let’s get one thing clear: Here we’re not referring to how trendy you’ll look in your wetsuit. We’d like to believe the functionality is at the top of your priority list This design impresses in many functional ways.
This top is made of super light nylon/spandex which wicks sweat and ensures it evaporates fast keeping you cool and dry. It comprises three colors so you do compete in style. This one is ideal for racing and bike rides; it won’t hamper your movement.
Because it’s cut longer it’ll cover your lower back perfectly even in the aero position on the bike. It has a full-length zipper which will provide you with perfect ventilation and also makes wearing it much easier. You can expect to keep cool during your race thanks to the shoulder mesh pads which also provide you with ventilation.
The three back pockets are there to store those nourishing snacks for during your race. This is especially important for beginners who need sustenance throughout. Convenient, right?
- ATTENTION: PLEASE REFER TO THE SIZE CHART ON THE LEFT FOR A PERFECT FIT! THESE TOPS RUN DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHER BRANDS! Please measure your chest size.
- ULTIMATE COOL: Made of super-light nylon/spandex, your SLS3 Tri-Jersey wicks sweat, then evaporates it FAST, to keep you cool & dry. Even has mesh shoulder inserts for added ventilation.
- POCKETS: Thanks to our 3 back pockets, your nourishment is always handy. Reach from either side to grab your energy gels, bars & chews.
- COMFORT: The silicone gripper on the bottom of the jersey keep it in place even in the aero position on the bike.
- FULL FRONT ZIP FOR CUSTOMIZED COMFORT: Race heating up? Breathe easy. Just open the front half-zipper to let in cooling airflow. Chill in the air? Pull the zip back up & lock it down in its zipper garage.
So, which one is your favorite? Of all three we like the SLS3 Triathlon Men’s Top the most. For a race where feeling hot and sweating is the order of the day a suit which provides you with ultimate ventilation is a winner. And this top gives you just that.
Firstly, the super light material which wicks away sweat is great and the shoulder mesh pads make it even better. Plus, we like the convenient pockets it has. Choosing this suit will result in a comfortable racing experience. For beginners this is vital; you should focus on the race, not on your discomfort. You need to win, right?