Some links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to learn more.
Family trips to the seaside can be a lot of fun, but require the right gear to keep everyone safe, comfortable and at ease. The best stroller for a beach vacation is one that gives you a convenient way to keep your near, and provides the ease of not having to always carry them. Not all strollers are designed the same, and traditional options may not be ideal for use on sand and in marine environments. Because there are many products on the market to choose from, we’ve created this guide to help you get one step closer to a fun family vacation at the shore!
Here are 5 of the best beach strollers on the market today, and a buyer’s guide to help you choose which is right for you:
Best Strollers For A Beach Vacation Reviewed
1. BOB Revolution 3.0 Flex Stroller
The BOB Revolution 3.0 flex stroller is a heavy duty, highly portable and convenient stroller to keep your child on the go at the shore. The large, tough wheels are designed to use in the sand and on rough terrains, it’s car seat ready for quick transitions, and it provides sun protection for your child inside. The sun canopy offers added protection from the elements, and UPF50 protection. This feature can be reclined or pulled forward, depending on the weather conditions.
The wheels on this stroller are large in size and air-filled to provide maximum traction and durability on the go. This style of wheel is great for pushing the stroller on sandy beaches. The design of the wheels also features a quality suspension system for shock absorption, which makes the ride more comfortable for your child. Additionally, the front wheel has a locking feature for easy securing when you need it most.Along with a durable build, quality suspension system and ample protection for your child from the elements, this stroller also features a well-padded seat and ultimate ventilation to keep your little one comfortable. The seat itself can be removed from the stroller with ease, making it car seat ready, and the stroller can be folded down and stored or packed. Additionally, the bottom of this stroller features plenty of storage space for holding your baby beach gear.
2. Baby Trend Range Jogger Stroller
The Baby Trend Range Jogger Stroller is a quality and budget-friendly stroller designed for beach use, and is highly rated and reviewed by customers for its use at the shore. The inflatable wheels work well for use in the sand because they help to absorb shock and impact, and make maneuvering easier. Along with the large and wide design of the wheels, they also feature a traction pattern which is great for grip on the go. The front wheel on this stroller has a locking feature, which is great when you’re taking a moment to stop and grab some photos of the sunset, or take a break and watch the waves. Additionally, the underside storage space is great for carrying extra baby or beach gear.
This stroller features an adjustable seat that can easily change between multiple positions, which is great for keeping your child comfortable throughout the day. To ensure your child stays safe and secure while you’re on the go, the 5-point harness system keeps them from accidentally falling out. Along with a comfortable ride for your child, this stroller also features a large rubberized handle to keep your hands comfortable, and to make the stroller easier to push on beach adventures. Additionally, the ventilated sun canopy offers protection from the elements for your child.
When it comes time to go home, a simple push of a button allows you to fold this stroller down to size for quick transportation. It might not be the fanciest or most durable stroller available on the market, but it comes with high reviews from customers for use on the seaside.
3. Graco Fastaction Stroller
The Graco Fastaction Stroller is a multi-purpose reclining stroller and car seat combo, that’s designed for use at the seaside. It features a semi-mesh canopy that can be folded forward or back, depending on the weather conditions. This added feature is great for protecting your child from the wind and sun on hot beach days. Along with protection from the elements, this stroller design also has a 5-point harness which holds your little one safely in place while on the go. Additionally, to hold other beach and baby gear, this product features quite a bit of storage space on the underside, and convenient cup holders on the top.
The large air-filled wheels are wide and designed for the beach. The traction pattern gives them added grip for adventuring on the beach in the sand. Made of rubber, these tires also have a decent amount of suspension to make the ride smoother for your child inside. Designed for jogging, the front wheel of this product locks into place when you need it to.
To make transport easier, this stroller collapses with a single button push. Folding down easily, this product is highly portable, easy to store and transport. Additionally, the seat of this stroller is car seat ready, and can be clicked into your vehicle with ease.
4. Joovy Zoom Jogging Stroller
The Joovy Zoom Jogging Stroller has a lightweight aluminum frame and large wheels to keep your child secure and relaxed as you jog at the beach, or around town. Weighing in at 25.7 pounds, and designed for children three months or older, this product is great for children up to 75 pounds. For added convenience, this stroller features a tether and leash to keep the stroller near you when you’re hands free, and a parent console organizer where you can store your keys, phone and other easy-access items. Additionally, it comes with a portable tire pump that stores inside the underside compartment.
Along with convenient features for you, the design of this stroller features a reliable suspension system making it great for use while jogging, at the beach, or both. The large wheels and sturdy aluminum frame help to eliminate shock from bumps, rough terrain, and potholes. Additionally, the pneumatic 16 inch rear wheels help to create a smooth ride, while the front wheel locks in position to help you keep a straight path.
The seat on this stroller sits higher than many other options, and the featured canopy offers complete coverage for the little one underneath. This canopy also has a peek-a-boo window to ensure you and your child can see each other and what’s going on around. Additionally, this canopy can be folded into the closed position when it’s not needed, making checking on your child a breeze. The adjustable seat provides you an option to position your child where they have the best view of their surroundings.
If you’re specifically looking for a jogging stroller, the design of this model is highly recommended by customers who’ve reviewed their purchase. It’s stable and secure construction, and comfortable seating for your child allows you both to explore in comfort and ease. Additionally, it’s equipped with a convenient parent organizer, side pockets for gear storage, and a lower compartment for larger items. Perhaps one of the only downfalls of this product, it is worth noting that collapsing this stroller is known to be more challenging than others on this list.
5. Baby Jogger Mini GT Stroller
The Baby Jogger Mini GT Stroller features adjustable handlebars and supports the City Mini GT and City GO infant car seats. It’s an adaptable stroller that suits a variety of parent needs, and supports children up to 65 pounds. The convenient features like the hand operated parking brake, parent console and child tray make this product a great choice for those looking to spend some time at the shore. The tray can be used for snacks and activities, and the console can hold your phone, keys and more.
This stroller is great for a variety of environments and terrains, and it can be folded and transported easily, weighing in at only 22.5 pounds. It also features a glider board, allowing an older child to hitch a ride. Additionally, the large padded seat in this design is great for keeping your little one comfortable on the go. It securely seats your child in a reclined position, and the UV 50+ canopy can be folded closed or open depending on your needs at the shore. This design provides a clear and unobstructed view for your child, while keeping the protected from the sun and elements. The canopy features mesh windows which provide ample ventilation, and it allows you easy access to check on them while you’re on the go.
The Baby Jogger mini GT is a user-friendly and easy to operate stroller. It folds open and closed with ease, and locks into position to ensure your child is safe and secure on the go. The handlebar is adjustable, which is great for customizing comfort to your height and needs, and to prevent back ache during lengthy adventures. Additionally, the handle features a hand operated parking brake which allows you to stop when you need it, and to keep the stroller stationary while the parking brake is engaged.
Stroller Buying Guide
When you begin your search, you can easily become overwhelmed with the wide range of options, styles, features, quality and cost of strollers on the market. When you are looking for a stroller that will function effectively on a beach vacation there are specific needs and demands that should guide your decision.
The best beach strollers will manage all types of terrain and ultimately will maneuver over a sandy beach effectively. In addition to being highly maneuverable they are a great all around stroller for a wide range of uses. To assist you in your search and to help you navigate the market we have provided the following information on the important features to factor into your final decision.
There are a variety of factors to consider that will impact the ease of maneuvering and managing your stroller on sand and the terrain you will negotiate to get there. The following are some features to examine when searching for the right stroller for your family:
- Single or Dual Front Wheels: Four-wheel strollers (dual front wheels) offer better stability, wider selection, are more affordable and compact. Three-wheel strollers provide more versatility, better manage rough terrain, more maneuverable, limited selections and cost more. Our strong recommendation for a beach stroller is to limit your search to three-wheel strollers, due to the demands of effectively traversing the beach and providing the necessities for transporting and attending to an infant.
- Locking Front Wheel(s): A front wheel providing dual operation, allowing the wheel to swivel for ease in maneuvering, while being lockable for stability when crossing the sand or unstable terrain, as well as when you are out for a jog.
- Wheel Design: For the purposes of providing a smooth and manageable stroller the wheel size and design will impact how effectively you are able to move across the beach. Oversized all terrain wheels are typically easier to maneuver through sand. Stroller wheels that are air filled, similar to a mountain bike tire, found on quality strollers, are the best option.
If you are headed to the beach, chances are good that you are also going to be exposed to a lot of time in the sun. Protecting your infant child from the harmful effects of the sun is paramount.
Considering a sunscreen with the appropriate SPF (sun protection factor), as well as an umbrella or sun dome once you settle in on the beach to limit exposure to harmful sun rays is important. However, do not neglect the time your child will be in the stroller when considering protecting them from the sun. A quality stroller will provide a large canopy with a sufficient level of UPF (ultraviolet protection factor). We recommend a fabric with 50+ UPF.
Don’t neglect to consider the comfort a stroller will provide for your infant, as well as you while managing and transporting your child in the stroller. A few issues to keep in mind when reviewing products:
- Padded, compression seat for your child
- Well ventilated material
- Padded handlebar
- Adjustable handlebar to accomodate an ideal fit
- Suspension system for a smooth ride
Most parents prefer to only have one stroller that serves multiple purposes and situations. Finding a stroller that will function effectively in a variety of situations would make sense. Whether you're using it for a beach vacation or for hiking, jogging, a walk in the neighborhood, a trip shopping or any other number of outings, it makes sense to find a versatile stroller to meet all of your needs.
A few factors to consider when searching for a versatile stroller include:
- All Terrain Design and Construction: Able to handle the demands of strolling, to hiking trails, jogging or hanging out at the beach.
- Adjustable Handlebar: A comfortable fit for a variety of individuals to manage the stroller, as well as adjusting to various situations and terrains.
- Locking Front Wheel: The ability to secure the front wheel for jogging or crossing the beach and unlocking for situations when maneuvering (mall shopping) is required.
- Seating Adjustments: Child’s seat should adjust from fully reclining for naps to fully upright for great views on your adventures
- Ease of Operation: Check all adjustments, closures, locking mechanisms, etc. for ease in operating is important. Preferably single hand operation is desired, leaving your other hand free to attend to any needs your child may have.
- Foldable: The convenience of a foldable beach stroller is important if you are going to be lifting and transporting it. The ideal stroller has a quick and easy folding mechanism that can be done with one hand, allowing you to hold the child while managing the stroller.
Storage and Accessories
Storage space is essential for a vacation to the beach. A place to carry and store additional items like diapers, wipes, toys, sunscreen, bottles, etc. will ensure you have the items you need, while making it easier to transport. Stollers storage options to consider include:
- Under seat storage
- Zippable pockets (keys, cellphone)
- Handlebar and seating consoles
- Multiple pockets
As the market becomes more competitive manufacturers are adding accessories that you may want to consider in your decision:
- Tire Pump (air filled tires): Having an integrated pump in the instances where a tire needs air or is flat.
- Water Bottles and Holders: Both you and your child need to remain hydrated, especially while at the beach, in hot, sunny conditions.
- Child Tray: To hold snacks, cups, or toys.
- Reflective Accents: For visibility during lower light situations.
- Windows: Mesh vents or windows that can be opened for ventilation, as well as being able to check on your child without having to stop and/or wake your child.
- Pulling Harness: Some manufacturers have created a harness, allowing you to pull rather than push the stroller.
- Car Seat: Manufacturers have designed strollers that offer either a car seat adapter that allows you to connect it to the stroller or is designed for dual purpose with a child seat included.
Always check the weight capacity of a stroller. This will determine the size of the child you can safely and comfortably transport in the stroller. The better the quality of stroller design and construction, typically the greater the weight capacity. Capacities generally range from 30 to 80 pounds. Think long term to accommodate your child as they grow.
Stroller Weight and Dimensions
The size and weight of the stroller is a variable to consider in your decision. How often you will have to lift the stroller, if you will be flying with the stroller, do you have stairs to traverse, storage area in your car and vacation accommodations, should all be factored into your considerations.
As always, safety is your paramount consideration when it relates to your child. A few primary areas to keep in the forefront while reviewing strollers include:
- Foot Activated Parking Brake
- Wrist Strap (safety while jogging or hiking)
- Child Harness or Seat Belt (protects head, shoulders, neck and hips)
- Design (Stable, sturdy, adjustable, ease of use)
- Construction (Quality, material, feel, closurers)
- Fabric (Durable, breathable, easy to clean, dries quickly)
- Materials (Withstand multiple environments: aluminum, stainless steel rust/corrosion resistant)
Check the length of the warranty and what is covered. A high quality stroller will come with an extended warranty that will cover both manufacturing issues and repairs. Strollers designed to handle multiple terrains and extended use will use quality materials, have a durable design and are constructed to last, thus the manufacturer is comfortable providing a quality warranty.
When you’re shopping for the best beach stroller on the market, the first step is understanding your needs. Consider things like the:
- Weight capacity
- Storage compartments
- Sun protection
- Terrain versatility
- Maneuverability in the sand
- Seat comfort for your child
A traditional stroller just won’t hold up for use in the sand, or on rough terrains while getting there. Using this guide to help you understand what makes a stroller suited for marine environments like the shore, you’ll get one step closer to your next beach vacation with your little one!
Did this guide make your beach stroller shopping easier? Did you choose one of the five products we listed above? Tell us about it in the comment section below!
Megan Jones leads the editorial staff of Seaside Planet. They are a multidisciplinary team of outdoor adventurers, water sports lovers, and passionate beach goers. You can learn more about Meg and the rest of the editorial team here.