It can be hard to enjoy your time at the beach when you're being bitten! Luckily, there are a number of fantastic products that can help you to avoid the issues that can come from biting flies, mosquitoes and more. Each product on this list strives to repel such issues with little problem. Check out this top five list of the best repellent for biting flies at the beach!
Best Repellent for Biting Flies at The Beach
1. Repel Lemon
If you're looking for an effective, low-cost option then this one is worth a look. This product works to repel a variety of insects including biting flies and mosquitoes. Not only does this help you to avoid itchy or painful bites, it also keeps these insects from spreading diseases to you through the bite. Furthermore, it uses plant-based ingredients like lemon eucalyptus to get the job done.
One of the top benefits of this product is that it's government approved. That lets you know that it's not only safe to use, but also great for keeping away unwanted insect pests. Most find that it's long lasting and is extremely effective at keeping bugs away. However, in rare cases customers can find that it may attract some kinds of bugs, including bees. In other cases, it may lose effectiveness sooner than expected.
- Repels mosquitoes that may transmit the Chikungunya, Zika, Dengue and West Nile viruses
- Contains Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus
- Repels mosquitoes for up to 6 hours
- Cool, refreshing scent
2. Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent
If you want something highly effective and don't mind paying a little more to get it, this is a fantastic product. There are many who stand behind this product and its ability to keep away a wide variety of insects including mosquitoes, ticks, mites, chiggers and more. It uses permethrin to get the job done, which tends to be quite effective as well as odorless to humans after it has dried.
For the most part, users find that this is a very effective product. Some who often have problems with ticks find that it keeps the vast majority of them away from their skin. In addition, it tends to be long-lasting. There can be some problems with the nozzle, however, resulting in customers having a difficult time applying the product.
- Effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus, odorless after drying; ideal for use while hunting
- Insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes; as effective as 100 percent DEET
- Lasts up to 6 weeks (or 6 washings); will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear
- 12-ounce capacity treats up to 2 complete outfits; non-aerosol pump bottle; color of bottle may vary. Can be applied to dogs and help control mosquitoes, and fleas for 35 days and against ticks for 6 weeks
- To apply, spray Permethrin directly onto clothing and gear with a slow sweeping motion, keeping the bottle about 6 to 8 inches away and treating each side of the garment for about 30 seconds
3. Avon Skin IR3535
This is a great choice for those who want protection as well as skin care. If you're looking for a truly versatile product, this is a great option. It works to repel insects as well as protect you from harmful UV rays and moisturize your skin. On top of that, it's PABA-free, meaning that it's safe to use. It's also made to avoid greasiness, so that it feels nice on your skin.
What many customers love about this product is that it does several different things for your skin at the same time; it protects you from sunburn as well as bug bites and makes sure your skin is moisturized. Keep in mind that some customers might find that it isn't as effective for repelling bugs as they had hoped.
- Gentle Breeze Scent 4 fl. oz.
- Deet Free PABA-Free
- SPF 30 sunscreen lotion
- Moisturizing Protection with aloe & vitamin E
- Non-greasy- Suitable for entire family
4. Natrapel Insect Repellent
For those who prefer a safe and eco-friendly bug repellent, this is an ideal solution. This is a great product for avoiding the potentially negative effects of DEET as well as the diseases that can come with bug bites. Because of the spray design, it's also an option that is easy to apply. On top of that, it's made to be long lasting so that you can be outside 12 hours or more without being bitten.
Many have grown concerned about the effects that DEET can have on the body, so options like this that avoid it are becoming more popular. Furthermore, the scent is pleasant and people find that it tends to be very effective at repelling biting bugs. However, some customers might find that the product loses effectiveness over time. In other instances, there can be allergic reactions on sensitive skin.
- CDC recommended formula of 20% Picaridin is the recommended concentration to guard against diseases transmitted by insects including the Zika Virus, West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, Lyme Disease, and Dengue Fever.
- Easy to apply and easy on the air with the Eco-Spray can that delivers even, continuous spray without releasing harmful aerosols.
- Enjoy 12+ hours of insect protection.
- Safe on your gear as the DEET free formula won't melt jackets, fishing line, and other plastics.
- Earned Consumer and Outdoor Groups recommendations.
5. OFF! Insect Repellent
If you're looking for something highly effective, this is a great choice. There are many who turn to the OFF brand when they want something that effectively repels insects. This product works very well against unwanted pests like chiggers, mosquitoes, gnats, biting flies and more. As a result, those who use it often find that it does a great job to keep the insects away.
Some users who have compared this product to others find that while some other brands may be just as effective, the OFF bottle is of a higher quality and is easier to spray. It's also a pretty budget-friendly option overall for those who need a lot of it. However, keep in mind that the effects of DEET on the body are undetermined, but there are some who feel it may not be the safest to use on skin.
- Long-lasting protection from mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, gnats, and chiggers.
- Aerosol spray allows for easy application in a continuous sweeping motion.
- Formulated with 25% DEET-provides up to 8 hours of protection against mosquitoes.
For this list, the OFF! Insect Repellent offers the most effective formula and highest rating. It does a great job at protecting users from a wide variety of insects and is often easy to use. It's also a very affordable option, which is great for those who don't want to spend a lot on an insect repellent. If you're looking for something a little different, keep in mind that the other options in this list are worth trying out as well.