Finding the right kayak to use in the ocean can be a difficult task, especially when browsing through dozens among dozens of products that could potentially fit your needs. Whether you are just getting into the hobby and looking for a kayak to start out with or you are a kayak fanatic who would like to take on all forms of aquatic challenges, from choppy seas to rapids, then there is a kayak made just for you.
This article is designated to separating and presenting a few different ocean kayaks that could offer the best value, features, and overall positive experience. After evaluating the following options, this difficult choice of finding the best kayaks for ocean use should be made significantly easier.
Best Kayaks For Ocean Use Reviewed
1. Oru Kayak Bayst Folding Kayak
The Oru Bay is the best kayak for you if you are part sailor, part landlubber. Lightweight and fold-able, this Origami kayak allows you to cut through waves and explore islands. There is no more need to worry about docking and having your kayak stolen. Just fold it, put it in the bag, and you can be off exploring.
Easy to assemble, this 12-foot long kayak is great for beginners as its features make it easy to maneuver. Unfortunately, it is not going to be comfortable for paddlers who are taller than 6’2”.
Designed to fit a spray skirt and float bags, it will keep you safe in choppy waters. I would, however, reconsider taking this kayak over corals and through rocky coastlines.
- BeachLT: Oru's friendliest boat. We're pretty sure it's the easiest collapsible boat in the world to put together-it takes just three minutes. Its 28" width makes it stable and comfortable. The 2017 model has an increased cockpit size, to make entry a breeze for paddlers of all shapes and sizes.
- The Original Folding Kayak: Oru Kayaks can go just about anywhere-all thanks to origami. Going from box to boat takes just minutes. On the water they're lightweight, sturdy and durable. Oru kayaks help make the outdoors more accessible
- Durability: The hull of the Oru Kayak is made from a custom polypropylene with a 10 year UV treatment and has been rated 20,000 folds! We suggest you treat your Oru Kayak like a fiberglass boat, but don't worry if you hit a rock...it'll be fine!
- Performance: Stable enough for beginners, while fast and sporty for expert kayakers. Plenty of room to stash gear for day trips and short camping excursions.
- Warranty: Oru Kayak warrants this product to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the date of its original ship date.
2. Eddyline Equinox Kayak
Lighter than most sea kayaks, the Eddyline Equinox will be easy to carry to the shore. Not only does it relieve your back of having to carry a heavy burden, it allows you to sit comfortably while kayaking with its cushioned seat and adjustable headrest.
Designed to be versatile and stable, the kayak can be taken anywhere. You can ride it through rapids as its shape allows fast turns. You can also take it through choppy seas with low chances of capsizing. With ample space equipped with thigh braces, it can take kayakers of all sizes.
There is, however, one problem with this kayak. Because it is one of the best kayaks in the market, it is in demand and hard to get your hands on despite its hefty price.
3. Dagger Kayaks Zydeco 9.0
This is the perfect kayak for someone who has recently tried out kayaking and has decided to buy one. Being one of the cheapest good quality kayaks in the market, the Dagger 9.0 would be a good value purchase if you are just starting out with this hobby.
With a length of 9”1’, this kayak is also easier to maneuver than much longer ones. Despite its length, you will find a lot of comfort lounging in its cushioned and adjustable seats and amply spaced cockpit.
This kayak, however, has its limitations. It is not designed for choppy waters or river rapids, so you are limited to calm flat coastal waters. If you are indeed a beginner, this should not be a problem as you would be opting for calmer waters anyway.
The other limitation is that the kayak is only designed to carry under 220 pounds. This is something you will have to consider if you are considering carrying heavy equipment with you while kayaking.
- Great for Flat-Water cruising or taking full control in slow-moving water of rivers and inlets
- The 9.0 is lightweight for easier carrying and cartopping, while the shorter length offers increased control for twisty environments
- Offers a comfortable but dialed-in Cockpit design that's roomy enough for relaxation without sacrificing the performance capabilities
- Boat length: 9' 1 inch
- Boat weight: 36.5 lbs
4. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 120T
If you are not the loner type, then perhaps you should opt for a tandem kayak. The 12-foot long Vibe kayak allows you to take on up to three passengers. It's great for a family of 3 or maybe a friend and a chest box filled with beers. Either way, the kayak's 500-pound capacity will allow you to carry more for your trip.
This kayak also allows you to store your phones and cameras in two sealed hatches that are easy to access. It also has a rear cargo area with bungee straps that will allow you to carry larger equipment. And, it has paddle holders which will mean less chances of you swimming after paddles.
One downside of getting such a big kayak would be having to move or paddle it yourself. Maneuvering such a long kayak on your own can be a tough mission.
- KEY FEATURES | 2-person sit on top fishing kayak - 12ft 72lbs 2-person kayak - perfect for fishing, travel, or family recreation - 500 pound weight capacity
- MOUNT FOR ACCESORIES | 2 flush mount rod holders with caps and 4 Mounting points for Scotty, RAM, or Railblaza mount rod holders
- MULTIPLE STORAGE OPTIONS | Two sealed hatches with built in cup holders for safe housing of smaller items and rear cargo area with bungee tie-down straps for larger gear
- NO MORE OVERBOARD PADDLES | Two paddle parks to help secure paddles when not in use, preventing lost overboard paddles
- EASY TRANSPORTATION | 4 carrying handles for easy transport out of the water
5. - Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu Two Tandem Recreational Kayak
The Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu Two Tandem Recreational Kayak is marketed as a high-end ocean kayak that is designed to hold up to 2 adults and a small child. The seats are made with comfortable materials so that operation of the kayak can be done in an efficient and underwhelming way. This ocean kayak is rated by customers as an extremely efficient and reliable kayak for heavy duty usage.
This kayak is also designed for easy storage, which makes handling the process after operation a little bit easier. This ocean kayak is rated extremely positive from customers that have become loyal to the brand after experiencing the great efficiency that the Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu Two Tandem Recreational Kayak provides.
While this kayak costs significantly more than most of its rival products, it does provide some of the highest quality features within the industry of ocean kayaks. It is hard to argue with a price when the features match the quality of the value. For customers that are on a limited budget, this kayak will likely be outside of the price range that you are willing to pay for. Still, for customers that are willing to invest in a high end ocean kayak, this is probably one of the best product choices that you could possibly make.
- Capacity of one, two, or two plus a child, 375-425 lbs. maximum capacity, perfect for a couple with a child. Length-12'. Width-34 inch
- Three seating position, bow, stern and middle for paddling solo, tandem, or tandem with a child. Overlapping foot wells,allow for a center seated paddler to have comfortable foot bracing with side carry handles
- 2 Comfort Plus seats, three molded-in seat wells, gear straps, patented overlapping foot wells, molded-in handles, skid plate
- Hull and deck design allows easy stacking of multiple hulls for easy on dock storage,Comfortable whatever your leg length may be
- BOW SEAT WIDTH: 18.5", STERN SEAT WIDTH: 20.25",CENTER SEAT WIDTH: 16.25",BOW LEG LENGTH: 44",STERN LEG LENGTH: 42"
Pick A Kayak Made For you
These 5 ocean kayaks each offers customers something a little different, while still managing to get the same job done. Depending on some different variable factors, potential buyers may debate between several of the kayaks presented within this article. The good news is that really there are no bad options when selecting from these kayaks. Each ocean kayak is totally capable of getting the job done. The only big difference is the value and features that each kayak offers.
The goal with our list was to take out all the terminologies and mumbo jumbo that comes with most best kayak reviews and specifications. Instead, I have written down which kayak I would use depending on my level as a kayaker and the activities that I would like to do.
If you are the free spirit, explorer type, I would really recommend the fold able Oru Bay so that you can easily go from kayaking to hiking. If you are a individual who likes island picnics or you are a fishing enthusiast who likes organizing trips with the boys, then the Shipjack 120T is your kayak.
For beginners who want to start out with as little investment as possible, then take the Zydeco 9.0. And, for the kayak fanatics looking for an adrenaline rush and can shoulder the hefty price tag, the Eddyline Equinox is an absolute dream.
So which type of kayaker are you?