Think your normal beauty routine will cut it on vacation? Think again. Unfortunately, the change in humidity, the salt on your skin, and damage from the sun can all negatively affect your skin. It’s a good idea to plan ahead for your beach trip and to remember these beach vacation beauty tips so that you’ll look and feel as incredible as possible!
I scoured the internet to provide you with some great tips to look and feel amazing while you’re on vacation. While some people love to go au natural at the beach, by embracing these tips you can make sure that you look great and are ready for a night out, shopping in town, or simply snoozing the day away while listening to the waves.
Start Exfoliating Early
Start exfoliating before you get to the beach to keep your skin smooth and clear. For the best results, and healthiest skin, you’ll want to start full body exfoliating about three weeks before your trip.
While this may seem like a long time to exfoliate before you actually get to the beach, it’s the best way to make sure you don’t have any dead skin creating a dull appearance on your body. Moisturizing with a great lotion after you exfoliate will provide you with lasting hydration and ensure that your skin looks incredible in a bathing suit on the beach.
Get a Faux Tan
Unless you’re already tan, you’ll want to get a healthy glow before your trip so that you will feel confident when spending time on the beach. Exposing your skin to the sun all day long in order to tan isn’t a good idea and can result in a number of health problems, which is why you need to start your faux glow about two weeks before your vacation.
You’ll want to use a product that gradually builds color on your skin when it’s applied, not simply darken your skin with one application. This will result in a much more natural look and will boost your confidence. Additionally, it’s much harder to miss spots or create streaks when you use these slow-build products.
- SUN-KISSED SKIN, NOT ORANGE: Picking the right color fake tan will ensure no orange color on your skin. For fair or pale skin, use fair to medium. For olive skin or skin that tans easily, use medium to dark. You will be left with a natural glow.
- CLEAN INGREDIENTS, NO JUNK: Beauty by Earth has been in the Self Tanners Best Sellers category for years. It's formulated with organic aloe vera, shea butter & many botanical extracts that benefit and hydrate your skin without dyes or toxins.
- BODY LOTION, CAN BE USED ON FACE: This sunless tanning lotion was formulated for the body, however it can be used as a face tanner. If you are prone to breakouts, use the Face Self Tanner Lotion as it is specifically formulated for a glowing complexion.
- MANY FORMATS AVAILABLE, ALL USA MADE: We have sunless tanner in just about every format. You are sure to find the best self tanner. Check out the Tanning Mousse, Spray Tan, Tanning Drops, Face Self Tanner Spray & all of the other formats offered.
- LOVE IT OR LET US KNOW: We are sure you will be happy to ditch tanning in the sun and skipping the sun damage. Your satisfaction is our promise to you.
Get a Haircut and Then Protect Your Hair
About a week before heading to the beach, you’ll want to give your hair a trim. All of the salt water, sun, and chlorine can be very damaging to your hair if you’re not prepared. While a preemptive cut may not sound like it will do much, this is a great way to protect your hair.
Trimming removes split ends which will only exacerbate the problems that your hair experiences when you are at the beach. By removing split ends, you ensure that your hair will look the best possible while you are at the beach. While it may be tempting to let your hair blow in the wind all day long, protect it with a hat or scarf to ensure that it isn’t damaged while you’re on vacation and use hair products formulated for beach weather.
Choose the Right Sunscreen
All of your hard work getting ready for the beach and feeling great in your bathing suit will be for naught if you don’t protect your skin. The right sunscreen or tanning oil won’t feel greasy or weigh you down, which will make you feel more willing to apply it to your body. Make sure that you protect your skin to prevent tanning unevenly or a burn and peeling.
The sun screen you choose needs to cover UVB and UVA rays to keep your skin as healthy as possible
- ORIGINAL SPF 30 SUNSCREEN LOTION . This is the stuff we use every day. It’s the formula that started it all. People say it smells like summer. We like that. Whether we’re spending a lazy day at the beach or just hangin’ out, our Original formula is definitely our fav.
- MOISTURIZING SUN PROTECTION. Dermatologist and Sonny approved, this non-comedogenic sunscreen delivers UVA/UVB protection and is packed with Vitamin E. Our oil-free, water-resistant and reef friendly SPF 30 Lotion is great for all skin types.
- HOW TO USE. 15 minutes before sun exposure, apply liberally to all areas of the skin and avoid the eye area. For best results, reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating. Sonny’s Tip: Apply every 2 hours for maximum sun protection.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN. The key to practicing safe sun is to protect and moisturize your skin. Our Original Sunscreen line is Hypoallergenic and Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Gluten, Cruelty and Paraben Free to ensure a fun day in the sun.
- TRUST THE BUM. What does that mean. It means trust us, the ones who live on the beach and need products that work on the most intense days in the sun. The simple truth is, when you make products to protect the ones you love, you make ‘em better.
Right before your beach trip or on the first day when you arrive, you’ll want to have your fingers and toes polished. Nothing looks better than a fresh pedicure and manicure while at the beach, and this is a very fun time to choose bright colors and designs that may stand out too much at the office. Because you’ll be showing off your feet, you want to make sure that they are exfoliated and smooth, and the best way to do this is to hire someone to give you a pedicure.
Go Light with Makeup
If you’re just not comfortable going out of the house without makeup, and you still want to wear some while at the beach, simply go light with the products. You’re not going to feel great wearing a lot of heavy makeup, as this will not only make you feel out of place while on the beach, but it’ll also weigh you down and be uncomfortable in the sun. Instead, swap out more of your products for lighter versions, such as a light lipstick or eyeliner, and skip the blush and bronzer.
Other Beach Vacation Beauty Tips
A few other tips that you’ll love and will keep you looking great are to use a high-quality waterproof mascara, opt for a face lotion or foundation that doubles as a sunscreen, and remember to walk barefoot on the beach. This will help exfoliate your skin during your vacation and keep your feet looking great!
Planning ahead for your beach vacation will ensure that you feel great while on your trip. Try out these beauty tips and you are sure to feel confident and attractive. While some of the tips require preparation in advance, they are designed to optimize your vacation.
Megan Jones leads the editorial staff of Seaside Planet. They are a multidisciplinary team of outdoor adventurers, water sports lovers, and passionate beach goers. You can learn more about Meg and the rest of the editorial team here.